Monday, January 2, 2012

Do you know me, really?

It's really interesting when the things i'm reading, especially when it's from the bible, all have the, or close to the same idea. Yes, these types of things can be easy to plan. If you're desire is to read about the Cinderalla story, outside of Disney, you can find many stories like this during the NCAAs' March Madness. If my wish is to show my students the idea of sharing in my classroom, I can easily find books that show this concept in its stories. Heck, I can even get 'em a song about that, thanks Jack!

Recently in the bible, one things clear, do you know Me? At least in some of the stories i've been reading he's asking, really....do you know Me? In fact, I think he's asking not only do you know me, but do you even know what I look like?

Garrison Keillor has become one of my favorite voices to listen to over the radio. His literature is especially great, and his poetry has a strong voice pressence. I could be scrolling through my radio dial hear the dry wit that comes from his voice, and without a doubt stop and listen. I know him and his voice is obvious. And shoot, i've seen pictures of him.  I don't know, however, if i'd really know who he was if I passed him while wandering through an airport terminal. Who knows, maybe i've walked past Keillor before, I've flown through his home state of Minnesota many times.

Most importantly, do I know God? Earlier in Mark 6, I'm given thought of how many times has he approached my boat to help? Of those times, how many times have I not known it was him, instead running in fear? I was also recently reading through Matthew 25 and Jesus talks about our not feeding him, noticing him. So today, John 4 introduced me to the lady at the water well. It's at the 26th verse of the fourth chapter I have to ask myself, "am I the woman at the well?"

You see, Jesus is looking for people who worship him in spirit and in truth.  This lady thought, just like me, that she knew Jesus. In verse 25 she says, "I know the Messiah is coming--the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." It's in the next verse, the 26th that I wonder if I know him well enough.  Jesus responds to her by saying, "I am the Messiah."

Say what?  She was talking to Jesus, the Messiah, and she didn't even know it? Hadn't she Googled his image yet? Ooops, nevermind! But I have, I've seen his picture and still I must ask, how many times have I simply passed him by?

Sure, I think I know Jesus but how many times has he come to help, or asked for water and I turn away not knowing it was him. How quickly do I then turn to speak about my friend, my saviour, my JC? All the while he sits there, I think, arms wide open and while in disbelief saying, "I who speak to you am he?"

I'm sorry Jesus, I don't know you well enough, i've become to comfortable and so many times I know, i've passed you in that terminal and simply kept walking.

These stories are happening for a reason. Jesus is asking me, really son, how well do you know me? How well do you wanna know me? It's one thing to have read my words, to have heard my voice, but do you know me when you see my face? Jesus, I really need to know you, really.

I can only imagine the kind of joy I would experience if I not only read his word and heard his voice, and now, to really see his face, amazing, i'm sure of it.

And who knows, perhaps next time I fly back to Tennessee i'll make sure to have a stop in Minneapolis.  I'll look and if I get lucky, maybe i'll see Garrison. But really, that doesn't matter and for the long term, that's not going to change my life.

To see Jesus, in all those ways? Yes, for not just the short term but long term as well, yes, that will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment